Featured Online Acquisition MBA School
Strayer University - Masters - Business Administration: Acquisition Concentration
Mergers and acquisitions involves the combination and division of companies. Typically, an enterprise merges with or acquires another company or a division of another company in an effort to grow market share and take advantage of the efficiencies created by combining business resources. Mergers and acquisitions procedures can be very complex, requiring those involved to be highly trained in a range of financial, managerial and legal topics. By pursuing an accredited online Master of Business Administration in Acquisition, students can gain the expertise needed to help companies manage these dealings for the benefit of all parties involved.
Programs with high online acquisition MBA rankings are often cross-disciplinary, drawing from fields such as finance, accounting, law and management. For example, students in online MBA acquisition programs can expect to learn techniques for evaluating companies, negotiating deals, managing new personnel and navigating federal antitrust laws. Online MBA in acquisition courses are typically taught by individuals with experience in the industry, providing students important insight into all aspects of deal-making. After graduating with an acquisition MBA online degree, students will be well versed in both the theory and the practice of mergers and acquisitions.
An online Master of Business Administration in Acquisition would be of great interest to students that enjoy negotiations, business valuation and legal studies.
Some additional traits that are common amongst many online MBA acquisition students include:
An acquisition MBA degree online takes approximately the same time to earn as any other online MBA. To earn this degree it generally requires 2 years of full-time education. But, part-time or accelerated programs are offered by some schools to allow students to finish the course at their own pace.
Before enrolling in online MBA acquisition programs, business schools generally require students to possess an undergraduate degree. Some schools that have an MBA acquisition online program have a preference for applicants who have degrees in subjects such as logistics, logistics management, business administration, and business.
The following criteria are also used by many online MBA in acquisition programs in making admissions decisions including:
An online MBA in acquisition usually begins by laying the foundation for more advanced business topics. For example, students in their first year of online MBA programs in acquisition can expect take foundational courses like legal studies, financial accounting, corporate finance, investment valuation and interpersonal communication.
Once students have a strong understanding of key business topics, the second half of an acquisition MBA online program will focus on specialized courses. The course lists at the best online acquisition MBA schools are comprised of classes like antitrust law, mergers and acquisitions strategy, applications of investment strategy and advanced financial analysis. Many of these courses utilize case studies that provide real-world examples to teach students practical lessons.
In addition to coursework, internships are also done by some students in online acquisition MBA programs. These internships can prove very important. Through them, students get an opportunity to put their learning into practical use. They also often make helpful business contacts.
For students interested in acquisition MBA careers, some on point books are:
1. The Intelligent Investor (Benjamin Graham) – One of the most respected books on business investing available, this insightful volume is a must have for any student pursuing an MBA online acquisition degree.
2. The Art of M&A: A Merger Acquisition Buyout Guide (Alexandra Reed Lajoux) – Written in an easy to understand question and answer format, this book covers a wide variety of M&A topics, from locating an initial target to post-merger issues.
3. The Whistleblower’s Handbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Doing What’s Right and Protecting Yourself (Stephen M. Kohn) – A leading whistleblower attorney, the author of this book provides an explanation of many federal and state laws about whistleblowing and gives twenty-one rules for whistleblowers.
4. Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco (Bryan Burrough, John Helvar) – Two journalists detail the leveraged buyout of the RJR Nabisco Corporation, the largest takeover in Wall Street history.
5. Moneyball (Michael Lewis) – Although this book focuses on identifying and acquiring undervalued baseball players, it contains lessons for the financial world about thinking creatively to beat the competition.
Graduates from top MBA acquisition online programs will be ready to take on financial manager positions, of which there are 527,100 available as of 2010. The average acquisition MBA salary a graduate would receive can vary according to position, but several examples are listed below:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects employment growth for financial managers, a common job for graduates of acquisition MBA schools online, to be 9% between 2010 and 2020, slower than most occupations. This is mostly due to the decline in employment in the commercial banking and savings industry, which employs the largest number of these managers.
Employers frequently want students who have earned their degrees from AACSB accredited acquisition MBA programs because accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business can be an indication that a business school provides a quality education.