Featured Online MBA Schools
University of North Carolina
Over the past few decades, the nature of marketing has changed dramatically, and marketing education has changed with it. Though it is a relatively new subject area, the online MBA in digital marketing is highly relevant in todays world, where people spend less time watching TV or reading newspapers and much more time using smartphones and the Internet. The top online MBA digital marketing programs instruct students how to take advantage of new technologies and consumer habits. Students who complete an accredited MBA digital marketing online or campus-based program will be able to think creatively and use digital tools to effectively reach consumers.
A campus-based or online Master of Business Administration in Digital Marketing is centered around specialized courses in e-commerce, social media optimization, search engine optimization and mobile marketing, and often has a focus on entrepreneurship and start-up culture. The best online digital marketing MBA schools that consistently rate highly in online MBA rankings incorporate case studies and opportunities to learn hands-on while working with start-ups and other businesses.
Students interested in mobile technology, advertising and social media marketing will benefit most from an online Master of Business Administration in Digital Marketing program.
Some additional characteristics that are common in many online MBA digital marketing students are:
A digital marketing MBA degree online takes approximately the same time to finish as any other MBA online. Two years of full time schooling is generally required to earn this degree. But, part-time or accelerated programs are offered by some schools to allow students to finish the MBA in a more convenient manner.
Before enrolling in online MBA digital marketing programs, business schools generally require students to possess a bachelor’s degree. While having a bachelor’s degree in subjects like sales and marketing, computer science, digital arts, and business administration may be ideal for those considering enrolling in a good MBA digital marketing online program, it is generally not required.
The following criteria are also used by many online MBA in digital marketing programs in making admissions decisions including:
The courses that make up the first half of most MBA online digital marketing programs resemble traditional marketing MBAs, but include additional Internet-focused components. Students can expect such traditional topics as advertising management or brand strategy along with courses like new media, social media for brand management and mobile application development.
Once students have a firm grasp of the principles of digital marketing, most digital marketing MBA schools online feature a hands-on component involving case studies, interactive sessions and class exercises. These typically take place during the last half of the program and may include visits to actual businesses, where students can apply the knowledge they acquired in the first part of their digital marketing MBA online program.
In addition to coursework, internships are also completed by some students in online digital marketing MBA programs. These internships can be very helpful. Through them, students get a chance to put their learning into practical use. They also often make important business contacts.
Books that may prove to be on point for students interested in digital marketing MBA careers include:
1. Understanding Digital Marketing: Marketing Strategies for Engaging the Digital Generation (Damian Ryan, Calvin Jones) – This book is a great introduction to digital marketing, as it examines its history as well as stressing its increasing importance.
2. Brand Media Strategy: Integrated Communications Planning in the Digital Era (Antony Young) – In his book, Young focuses on the many online platforms that can be utilized to run digital marketing campaigns.
3. Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (Dave Kerpen) – The emphasis of this book is social media marketing in particular, which is also often the subject of one or more digital marketing MBA online courses.
4. Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability and Science of Customer Centricity (Avinash Kaushik) – Unlike most books on digital marketing, Kaushik focuses on using analytics to gauge the success of social media and other online advertising strategies.
5. The Best Digital Marketing Campaigns in the World: Mastering the Art of Customer Engagement (Damian Ryan, Calvin Jones) – Using examples of digital marketing campaigns from diverse countries and brands, Ryan and Jones show what made these campaigns successful.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2010 there were 216,800 advertising, promotions, and marketing manager jobs in the U.S. With more and more business and consumer activity moving online, graduates of digital marketing MBA online programs are especially well-positioned to take advantage of these jobs. Average digital marketing MBA salary expectations in these fields are as follows:
While according to the BLS the industry as a whole is projected to grow about 14% over the next decade, the outlook is especially good for graduates of digital marketing MBA programs, particularly those rated high on online digital marketing MBA rankings. This is due to the overall shift in marketing to the online and mobile realm.
Many employers favor graduates who have earned their degrees from a program that has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB accredited digital marketing MBA programs are thought to provide students with a quality education.