Featured Online MBA Schools
University of North Carolina
Given the globalized nature of today’s financial markets, the investment banking industry is exceptionally complex. Investment managers must have a solid understanding of how business operations are generally affected by worldwide economic trends and how those trends impact individual investment decisions. An online Master of Business Administration in Investment Management is perhaps the best way to combine accounting, economics and finance training with key business concepts in investment banking and management.
The top online MBA programs in investment management provide students with advanced knowledge in current theories, practices and strategies for investment management and analysis. Accredited investment management MBA schools online teach students how to realize the most profitable investments, manage various securities and research markets and trends. The best investment management MBA online programs equip students with a general business education and career-specific knowledge in asset management, investment banking, proprietary trading and hedge funds.
An online Master of Business Administration in Investment Management is ideal for individuals interested in studying economic trends, investment banking and portfolio analyses.
Many online MBA investment management students additionally have the following characteristics:
Earning an investment management MBA degree online is comparable to earning any other MBA online. It typically takes two years of full-time study to finish. But, some business schools offer part-time or accelerated programs that give students the flexibility to earn the course under a timeframe that suits their schedule.
Accredited online MBA investment management programs typically require students to have a bachelor’s degree before enrolling in the MBA program. Some schools that have an MBA investment management online program prefer applicants who have degrees in areas like accounting, financial planning, finance, and business administration.
The following criteria are also used by many online MBA in investment management programs in making admissions decisions including:
Online MBA investment management programs that rate well in online investment management MBA rankings include one year of core business classes that are required in virtually all MBA programs. These classes provide students with an introduction to essential business skills and a foundation for the remainder of the program. Typical investment management MBA online core classes can include economics, corporate finance, investment law and ethics, accounting and quantitative methods in finance.
The second year curriculum of an online MBA in investment management program encompasses concentration courses designed to focus on investment valuation and portfolio management tools and concepts. Students learn about asset valuation, portfolio management processes and financial statement analysis. Specialized MBA online investment management courses at top online investment management MBA schools may include applied investment management, global financial markets, mergers and acquisitions, fundamentals of corporate finance and applied derivatives.
In addition to coursework, internships are also done by some students in online investment management MBA programs. Internships are important. Through them, students not only make valuable business contacts, but they also get an opportunity to apply what they are learning in their classes.
Books that may prove to be helpful for students wanting to pursue investment management MBA careers include:
1. Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment, Fully Revised and Updated (David F. Swensen) – Using real-world examples, the author provides clear and logical advice on a range of topics related to institutional funds management, from asset-allocation structures to active fund management methods.
2. The Essays of Warren Buffet: Lessons for Corporate America (Warren E. Buffet, Lawrence A. Cunningham) – Considered the definitive book on famed investor Warren Buffet and intelligent investment philosophy, this collection is an excellent source of basic investment principles and sound business practices.
3. Irrational Exuberance (Robert J. Shiller) – Referencing the stock market crash of 2008, Shiller offers professional investors shrewd insights and sober warnings regarding the volatile effects of “irrational exuberance” on the securities and housing markets, making this an excellent read for MBA investment management students.
4. Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications (John J. Murphy) – Murphy offers advice, tips and tools regarding the concepts of technical analysis and their application in the futures and stock markets. Show More
5. Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management (Alexander Elder) – This book explores crucial factors in investment markets that many experts overlook, including time, volume and open interest, and describes little-known indicators to effectively track them.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are currently over 312,000 jobs in the investment management, financial services and asset management occupations, ideal for students who have completed an MBA investment management online degree program. Investment management MBA salary ranges vary by position and industry, but some examples follow:
Overall employment of investment managers, investment bankers and asset and financial services managers is expected to increase by 14% over the next ten years, as reported by the BLS. This growth can be partly attributed to an increased need for investment banking services in the initial public offering and mergers and acquisitions sectors. In addition, the United States remains an international financial center, so economic growth in other countries contributes to employment growth in the U.S. financial industry.
Many employers favor graduates who have earned their degrees from AACSB accredited investment management MBA programs. Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation typically is evidence that that a business school provides a quality education.