Featured Online Management Information Systems MBA Schools
California Intercontinental University - MBA - Information Systems and Knowledge Management
South University - Masters of Business Administration - Management Information Systems Specialization
Strayer University - Masters - Business Administration: Information Systems Management Concentration
The field of management information systems (MIS) involves using technology to manage business data. Information systems are designed to collect, process and store the data necessary for an organization’s daily operations and decision-making activities. In the rapidly expanding world of information systems management, MIS professionals are needed to help organizations effectively compete in a global environment by maximizing the benefit from investment in personnel, equipment and business processes. An online Master of Business Administration in Management Information Systems can prepare future MIS professionals to play key roles in identifying technology-based solutions and translating new technology advances into business capabilities.
The best online MBA in management information systems programs are focused on teaching technical and managerial skills drawn from the fields of business management, information technology, finance and quantitative analysis. These programs have high ratings according to online management information systems MBA rankings, and typically provide students with advanced instruction in computer hardware and software systems, information systems resource management, system development, and management techniques. Top online MBA in management information systems programs also teach students how to use MIS technology to create efficient businesses capable of competing in global markets.
An online Master of Business Administration in Management Information Systems is a good fit for anyone interested in database management, software development and global technology.
Some other characteristics that are common amongst many online MBA management information systems students are:
The time it takes to earn a management information systems MBA degree online is comparable to the time it takes to earn other MBAs online. Two years of full time schooling is on average required to finish this degree. However, part-time or accelerated programs are offered by some institutions to allow students to earn the MBA under a timeframe that suits their schedule.
Before enrolling in online MBA management information systems programs, business schools generally require students to have a bachelor’s degree. While having a bachelor’s degree in areas such as information technology management, management, business administration, and information systems may be ideal for those considering enrolling in a good MBA management information systems online program, it is generally not required.
Many online MBA in management information systems programs also base admission on the following criteria:
Students in their first year of a management information systems MBA online program usually take general core courses required of all MBA students. The purpose of the core courses is to provide an introduction to basic business fundamentals and current information systems technology. Core courses taken by students in accredited online management information systems MBA schools can include subjects such as managerial accounting, corporate finance, business ethics, leadership and quantitative analysis.
The second year curriculum in online MBA management information systems programs includes concentration courses focused on the details of management information systems. Developing, maintaining and upgrading computer networks and deploying new software and other technologies are among the topics covered during the second year of a management information systems MBA online program. To teach these concepts, the best management information systems MBA schools online offer advanced concentration courses in web application development, management information systems, systems analysis and design, information systems security and networking concepts and applications.
Often students enrolled in online management information systems MBA programs complete an internship during the course of their studies. These internships can prove very valuable. Through them, students get a chance to put their learning into practical use. They also often make useful business contacts.
For students interested in management information systems MBA careers, some helpful books include:
1. Decision Management Systems: A Practical Guide to Using Business Rules and Predictive Analytics (James Taylor) – Using case studies and examples, Taylor teaches the reader how to combine technology and standard business practices to improve customer service, reduce fraud, increase responsiveness and drive growth.
2. Content Management Bible (Bob Boiko) – This comprehensive book outlines the process for planning and implementing a management information system than can handle large amounts of information and help an organization achieve its overall goals, making it an excellent resource for MBA management information systems online students.
3. Management Information Systems: New Approaches to Organization and Technology (Kenneth C. Laudon) – The authors of this volume track emerging technologies, organizational trends and MIS issues through the use of real business examples.
4. Information Systems Security Officer’s Guide: Establishing and Managing an Information Protection Program (Gerald L. Kovacich) – This book contains helpful information on global changes and threats, tips for managing an international security program and techniques for measuring organization performance.
5. Time Management for Systems Administrators (Thomas A. Limoncelli) In this book, Limoncelli presents a collection of tips and techniques for helping busy system administrators cultivate effective time management skills.
There are over 307,900 jobs currently in the information systems management, software development and technology management fields, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Many of these jobs are well suited for graduates of MBA online management information systems programs. The management information systems MBA salary ranges vary by position and industry, but some example average salaries follow:
According to the BLS, information systems manager jobs are expected to increase by 16% over the next ten years. This growth trend can be attributed to organizations upgrading their management information systems as they switch to newer, faster and more reliable network platforms.
Many employers prefer graduates who have studied from a program that has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB accredited management information systems MBA programs are believed to provide students with a quality education.