Featured Online Sustainability Management MBA School
Colorado Technical University - Master of Business Administration - Environmental and Social Sustainability
In today’s business climate, many managers are expected not only to be effective thinkers and leaders, but also to understand how to run their businesses in an environmentally friendly and socially constructive way. An online Master of Business Administration in Sustainability Management offers future managers and executives traditional online MBA classes, as well as courses that specifically address how to make their businesses profitable and successful without negative impact to people and the environment. As companies increasingly prioritize sustainability, a graduate from a school from top online sustainability management MBA rankings gain skills in management, resource efficiency and conservation.
An accredited sustainability management MBA online program will educate students on business management with an additional focus on sustainable practices and services, clean technology, waste reduction and business ethics. The best MBA sustainability management online programs produce managers and executives that will create and maintain quality working conditions for staff while making sustainability practices commonplace throughout the business world.
The sustainability management MBA online program is best suited to students who are interested in business management, environmental science and public health.
Other common characteristics amongst many online MBA sustainability management students are:
Earning a sustainability management MBA degree online is comparable to earning any other MBA online. Two years of full time schooling is normally required to earn this degree. However, students are able to complete the MBA under a timeframe that suits their schedule at some business schools that have part-time or accelerated programs.
A bachelor’s degree is normally required before students can gain admission to online MBA sustainability management programs. A bachelor’s degree in subjects like business administration, organizational management, sustainable business, and alternative energy may be preferred by some schools that have an MBA sustainability management online program.
The following criteria are also used by many online MBA in sustainability management programs in making admissions decisions including:
The first year of an online Master of Business Administration in Sustainability Management program will likely require students to focus on introductory management courses, such as strategic marketing, account management, business ethics and organizational structure. An introductory course providing an overview on sustainability management may also be required.
The second half of an online MBA in sustainability management program will begin to focus on the theories and practices behind the sustainability movement. Courses on human-centered capitalism, environmental economics, sustainability marketing, renewable energy and clean technology will expose students to best practices in the field of sustainability management. In addition, some online sustainability management MBA schools may require students to complete an internship in order to gain hands-on experience in a business environment using leading sustainability practices.
Some students enrolled in online sustainability management MBA programs complete an internship during the course of their studies. These internships can prove very helpful. Through them, students get a chance to put their learning into practical use. They also often make good business contacts.
For students interested in sustainability management MBA careers, some insightful books include:
1. The Sustainable MBA: The Manager’s Guide to Green Business (Giselle Weybrecht) – Utilizing over 100 interviews with business experts from around the world, this book provides an overview of successful sustainability practices and tips on how managers can adopt green practices within their own businesses.
2. The Responsible Business: Reimagining Sustainability and Success (Carol Sanford) – The author of this book reviews the ways in which an effective manager can integrate sustainability into all aspects of an organization, from the executive offices to the production floor.
3. The Responsibility Revolution: How the Next Generation of Business Will Win (Jeffrey Hollender) – This book presents ideas and strategies for guiding a business toward a socially responsible yet cost-effective corporate culture.
4. Community Leadership 4.0: Impacting a World Gone Wiki (Carolyn Corbin) – This book highlights examples of successful social movements that have grown out of partnerships between corporations and the communities they serve, reminding students that effective growth and change does not only occur from the top down.
5. Strategy for Sustainability: A Business Manifesto (Adam Werbach) – Utilizing case studies of major corporations such as Walmart, Dell, Toyota, Procter & Gamble and Nike, this book offers students of online MBA sustainability management programs a summary of best practices for corporate sustainability in the twenty-first century.
Graduates of sustainability management MBA schools will have the opportunity to pursue careers as chief sustainability officers, operations managers, industrial production managers and transportation managers, among other options. In 2010, over 370,000 people were employed as chief sustainability officers, in addition to nearly two million management jobs in operations, production and transportation. While the average sustainability management MBA salary varies by occupation, top positions and salaries are as follows:
The job outlook for students graduating from sustainability management MBA schools online is positive, with expected growth of up to 19% over the coming decade due to global interest in sustainability practices. Students seeking employment upon graduation from an MBA online sustainability management program should have success finding job openings in their field of interest.
Many employers prefer graduates who have graduated from AACSB accredited sustainability management MBA programs. Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation typically indicates that a business school provides a quality education.