Featured Online MBA Schools
University of North Carolina
An online Master of Business Administration in Sustainable Business offers students the management skills necessary to become leaders in the field of sustainable business. In recent years, many businesses have had to face the rising costs of natural resources. At the same time, their customers are becoming more aware of conservation principles and environmentally friendly technologies. Consequently, MBA programs are increasingly focusing on sustainable business practices that help reduce waste, operate more efficiently and appeal to customers.
Ideal for students who are interested in pursuing a business career with an emphasis on conservation, an online MBA in sustainable business program aims to train future professionals in how to succeed in the business world without putting profits over people and the environment. Along with a focus on human-centered capitalism, clean business practices and environmentally friendly commerce, sustainable business MBA online programs also teach students the business skills typical of a traditional or online MBA degree program.
An online Master of Business Administration in Sustainable Business is a good fit for business students who are interested in professional ethics, clean technology and conservation as guiding principles.
Some additional that are common in many online MBA sustainable business students include:
The time it takes to earn a sustainable business MBA degree online is comparable to the time it takes to earn other MBAs online. To earn this degree it normally takes 2 years of full-time schooling. But, part-time or accelerated programs are offered by some institutions to allow students to finish the program at their own pace.
Prior to enrolling in online MBA sustainable business programs, business schools generally require students to possess a bachelor’s degree. Some schools that have an MBA sustainable business online program prefer applicants who have degrees in related fields including environmental health, renewable energy, management, and business administration.
The following criteria are also used by many online MBA in sustainable business programs in making admissions decisions including:
The first year of attendance in most accredited online sustainable business MBA schools will require completion of general business courses such as accounting, operations management and economics. In addition, beginning courses on sustainable business will provide an overview of the best practices for improving corporate sustainability.
Progressing into the second half of the sustainable business MBA online program, students will begin to focus on organizational behavior, environmental science, clean technology and the sustainability issues arising with globalization. Schools with top online sustainable business MBA rankings may require students to participate in an internship opportunity to gain valuable hands on experience in a sustainable business environment.
Students enrolled in online sustainable business MBA programs often participate in internships in order to enhance their education. Internships are useful. Through them, students not only make useful business contacts, but they also get an opportunity to apply what they are learning in their classes.
Some books students interested in sustainable business MBA careers may find helpful are:
1. The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals and Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World (Peter M. Senge; Bryan Smith; Nina Kruschwitz; Joe Laur) – The authors of this book highlight innovative strategies that companies can use to foster change, such as reducing water consumption and initiating youth-led social change programs that allow young people to educate business leaders about the impacts of industry on the community.
2. The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization (Peter M. Senge) – This book provides information on how to stay competitive in the business world by consistently nurturing new ideas and ensuring that staff learning is an ongoing priority.
3. The Sustainable MBA: The Manager’s Guide to Green Business (Giselle Weybrecht) – This book utilizes over 100 interviews with successful business leaders to offer the basics on integrating sustainability into business practices, with tips on how to get started and how to get staff properly engaged.
4. Sustainability Value: How the World’s Leading Companies Are Doing Well by Doing Good (Christopher Laszlo) – This book follows some of the world’s largest businesses as their leaders begin to prioritize social, environmental and economic issues in addition to profits.
5. The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair (Vanity Fair) – This book focuses on the worldwide impact of the latest financial downturn, offering a valuable perspective to students of online MBA sustainable business programs.
There are many career opportunities available to students who have graduated from sustainable business MBA schools online, including jobs for aspiring marketing managers, industrial ecologists, chief sustainability officers and sustainability specialists. In 2010, these occupations employed over 178,000 marketing managers, 89,000 industrial ecologists, 370,000 chief sustainability officers and 1,064,000 sustainability specialists. The average sustainable business MBA salary by area of specialization is as follows:
Students emerging from MBA sustainable business online programs can expect to see average or better job growth in the above areas, with growth expected to range from 10% to 19%. Careers in sustainability are expected to grow for graduates of the best MBA online sustainability programs as data reflecting positive results from sustainability practices is published, and an increasing number of companies prioritize sustainable business practices.
Employers often want students who have earned their degrees from AACSB accredited sustainable business MBA programs because accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business can serve as a sign that a business school gives students a quality education.